Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring happenings

Spring has arrived and we're enjoying it! Getting alot of planting done and entering in to alot of projects. Our garage foundation should be done next week! We're so looking forward to it!! Then, I'll be getting a new kitchen! Woo Hoo!!!
Here are some pics of some of our spring at the cabin.



 I found these cedar planters at The Christmas Tree Shop for 4.99 and longer ones for 8.99. I've put them on the deck rails and filled with violets and pansies. I have 4 so  far and plan to add 1 or 2 more. Last year I put impatiens in pots on the deck floor and they were gorgeous! I plan to do the same this year--I love the color and beauty of flowers. God certainly gave us a lot to enjoy. I'm planting nasturtiums  use in salads, echinacea for medicinal purposes  as well as calendula,bee balm and evening primrose. My mint is coming up as well as the strawberries and some other herbs. How exciting is all that?!
 We have a lot of birds around the cabin and last year there were so many gold and house finches! I added a new sock feeder as well as 2 others-1 up by the deck. We've already had many visitors-they just have to get used to us being around again. Last year we were able to sit on the deck--which is just about 10 or so ft. away--and watch them while we ate or talked. We'll put up a couple hummingbird feeders again soon. They also got pretty used to us being around and would come eat while we were right there on the deck. So much fun!  Behind the feeders here is our raspberry patch.
 Welove the wildflower patches so Tom planted a long patch down the drive. They're starting to sprout! we're looking forward to a beautiful entry to the cabin!
I found this for 90% off at The Christmas Tree Shop. Once the pansies fill out I think it will be very cute by the front door--a cheery entrance will await!

Tom has wanted a purple martin house for quite some time. We took the plunge and finally bought a nice 16 house "apartment". We hope to be able to attract at least a couple pairs this year. It should prove to offer a lot of entertainment. Not to mention, our neighbors should like the benefits of them for the horses--the martins are said to eat as many as 2000 bugs each per day!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for spring! Flowers are my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin good! Wish i lived closer and could enjoy it with you!

    ReplyDelete