Sunday, February 24, 2013

The times, they are a chang'in

Tom and I are about to change our lives again--and so are my parents. Since they are both in declining health    decisions had to be made. It's becoming increasingly difficult for dad to handle everything without help, mainly my mother's decline. After talking and praying and much deliberation and struggle, dad has decided to move he and mom in with Tom and I.
I can't say it's not without mixed emotions on my part. Caring for Granny was one thing--these are my parents. When the time comes that they pass--if it's here at the house,I'm sure that will be a totally different story than it was with Granny. It was a very emotional time for Granny so..........
Then, I'll be quitting my job. Now, I'm not one that feels I must work to define myself, but I must admit that I feel a certain amount of loss. I have clients that I've been with for a couple yrs. and we have become friends they look forward to my company. Fro one, it seems like they're just making some very good strides towards some healing  and I would hate to think it would set them back by my leaving. That's just the way it can go in healthcare.
Yet, I have to stop and think that there's no greater privilege than to care for my parents and give them all the comfort and dignity that I possibly can. Are there going to be rough spots in the road? You bet! Will I get tired? Of course! Will they miss their former life? In a lot of ways, yes! I would be a fool to think it's going to be a cake walk and all will be sunshine and roses. I know that will not be the case. So, I'll ask for God's grace, courage and strength every day--not just for me , but for Tom, mom and dad as well.
Tom has been so gracious to allow this to happen. He's understanding in the fact that he knows the burden will mostly be on me and he wants to make sure I'm up to it. He'll be there to help as he can, but work doesn't stop for him.
Well--that means the guest bedroom is about to get an overhaul! Tom's going to raise the floor first. Well--second! First we have to remove everything from the room then remove the carpet. Presently, the floor steps down into the room. For safety it has to be raised. Then, since there will be a new floor we'll have to put new tile down, then paint. All this needs to be done in about 2wks. :} Not to mention other changes that need to be done to insure their safety and comfort. It's all good!
Any prayers sent up for us in the midst of all this change would be greatly appreciated!
One plus is that since I'll be home more, maybe I can get some smaller projects done!
Have a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment